These are efforts a water user might employ in attempting to complete a Declaration of Beneficial Use. A reasonable effort must be made prior to requesting
assistance from the State Engineer through an Apportionment Application.
Seek qualified professional assistance for help in resolving any of the issues preventing the completion of a Declaration.
Efforts to identify and locate
the other water right owners in the water use group or their successors in interest might include the floowing:
- Research the State Engineer records for the other supplemental water rights in the water use group including the hard copy files and any hydrographic
- Research county recorders office to identify new owner(s) of property and contact them.
- Research state or federal agency records to identify new grazing allotment owner(s) and contact them.
- Contact neighboring water users and property owners.
- Research historical records (including census records, obituaries, birth records, etc.).
- Contact local water use groups / authorities.
- Do an Internet search of the water right owner names in every reasonable area of the country.
- Contact every name identified in the Internet search by telephone.
- Maintain a log of all efforts to identify the water right owners or their successors in interest.
Efforts to contact
the other water right owners in the water use group or their successors in interest might include the following:
- Contact every name identified as a water right owner or successor in interest in the water right group by telephone or in person.
- Keep a log of phone call attempts showing at least two weeks of effort at different times of the day.
- Send a certified letter, response requested, to every name identified as a water right owner or successor in interest in the water
right group and then follow up 30 days later with a regular mail letter.
- Keep any returned envelopes sent to a reasonable address showing there was no forwarding address.
Efforts to reach agreement
with the other water right owners and complete a Declaration:
- Meet or communicate with each of the other water user(s) to determine if there is a possibility of reaching agreement.
- Determine whether the other water users are willing but unable to figure out how to divide the beneficial uses among the water
rights in the water use group.