How do I change my address on the Division of Water Right Records?
Click here to view instructions for changing your address with the Division of Water Rights. more...
How can I sign up to receive email notifications for water rights?
Click here to view the complete instructions for receiving notifications. more...
I want to build a house and need a well. What do I need to do?
You must have a water right to divert and use water in the State of Utah. Water well drillers are licensed and cannot drill a well unless permission to drill has been obtained from the State Engineer. more...
I understand I need to buy a water right. How do I go about it?
Water rights are classified as “real property” in the state of Utah and are bought and sold much like real estate. Many real estate agencies will have listings for water rights much as they do for properties. more...
How do I know if a water right I’m thinking about buying is a “good one”?
Some issues you should be particularly aware of when persuing the purchase of a water right are verification of ownership and water use. more...

Current Issues
Public Meeting - Proposed Determination Provo City North - Area 55 Bk 7 more...
Motion to appoint R.L. Knuth to serve as Master in the Virgin River Adjudication more...
Public Meeting - Unclaimed Rights within Draper (Bk 57-26) and Lehi (Bk 55-4) more...
Public Meeting - Proposed Determination Provo City - Area 55 Bk 6 more...
Adoption of Groundwater Management Plan for the Snyderville/Park City Basin more...
Public Meeting - Proposed Determination American Fork South - Area 55 Bk 5 more...
Welcome to the Division of Water Rights

The Utah Division of Water Rights (DWRi), led by the State Engineer - Kent L. Jones, P.E., is an agency of Utah State Government within the Department of Natural Resources that administers the appropriation and distribution of the State's valuable water resources.

The mission of the Division of Water Rights is to provide
order and certainty in the beneficial use of Utah's water.
Snyderville/Park City Groundwater Management Plan
The State Engineer has proposed to modify the Snyderville/Park City Ground-Water Management Plan.

Information about the modification
can be found here.

Office Hours
The Division of Water Rights office hours are from
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Our office is closed for Federal and State holidays.

We encourage appointments to avoid delay if you are coming to our offices for assistance.
Please use the "Contact" link below to make arrangements.


      Applications, Forms

      Informative Brochures

      Training Videos

      Map Search
Policies by Water Right Area
Locate Water Right Policies by an interactive map.

Click here for details.